Spirulina: Harvesting & Maintaining your Culture
On maintaining and harvesting Spirulina, in order to provide a constant supply at home of this superfood algae — one of the more nutrient-dense things one can grow in a small space, in order to be more self-sufficient and ensure your family’s food security. All links below!
Temperature/Light growth graphs: http://iceagefarmer.com/docs/spirulinaGrowthAnalysis.pdf
Growing Spirulina condensed manual: http://iceagefarmer.com/docs/GrowYourOwnSpirulina.pdf
– Lights: (dual) 45W Kingbo LED light per tank, a mere $30 right now — http://amzn.to/2uUcosg
– 50 micron screen: http://amzn.to/2f5LzeW
– 200W heater: (claims rated up to 75gal, but I’m using this for my 40gal, deliberately over-sizing to avoid burning out): http://amzn.to/2u1JNCi
– ph Digital + Waterproof 0-14 meter — also useful for Aquaponics : http://amzn.to/2f6EMSg
/ or : pH Test Strips 9.2 – 10.6 microFine pH strip : https://www.microessentiallab.com/ProductInfo/F04-MCRFN-092106-MID.aspx
– top off with clean water as needed (evaporation)
– bubbles on culture: needs to be stirred
– globules in culture: needs to be harvested
over 10? ready to harvest.
starts around 8.6, after adding baking soda into initial medium
over 11? too high, may need new medium
– heater: oversize deliberately. you’ll be running at max temperature — mine burned out.
– “rest”ing the culture — reduce temperature to 65-80, reduce light
– keeping a backup
– 1L on standby — or run multiple tanks!
MY VIDEOS ON SETTING UP TO FARM SPIRULINA:
– recipe for the medium: https://youtu.be/ff8SzDBq3fY
– chelating Iron for Spirulina: https://youtu.be/TCUNsrgvGrc
– recipe for the FOOD (nutrient replacement mix): https://youtu.be/wcXzQw9cJ3s
ICE AGE FARMER
Mapping a path forward to prosperity in an uncertain future.